Friday, July 19, 2013

QBQ ~ Peeling the onion, Time Management and a Fearless Heart

This week I was so frustrated with some of my work - with some people and also myself - all for different reasons.  I got so frustrated after a certain conference call this week that I just had to get it out and talk to someone.  This particular day (of the conf.call), I was able to find an open office of an exec (whom I call Yoda) and plopped myself in a chair and started spitting out frustrations.   After about 10 minutes of talking back and forth he finally asked me "Why are you so frustrated? Better yet, what really is making you frustrated?"

Those two questions made me stop and think for a bit.  It helped snap me out of the downward spiral of whining/complaining. It reminded me of what Michael is always bringing up in conversations we have.  "What is the QBQ (question behind the question)?  Peel the onion." he always says to me.  He received this from reading a book by John G. Miller a while ago.  QBQ focuses on the personal accountability part of our daily lives.

What was making me feel really frustrated?  Was frustration even the right word to use?  I had to look up the definition.
Yup.  That was the right word, alright - at least for some things like the particular conference call I mentioned and also other people.  As for the frustration with myself - well, that I do have the ability to make some changes - so I decided that I need some time to re-calibrate.  I need to renew my mind and what is truly important in my life and make sure that I am putting the important things first as best as possible.   Something that helps me "re-calibrate" is sitting outside in nature and just taking time to think.  As I sat outside this week, I look around and when I saw rocks and pebbles around my feet, it reminded me of Covey's principle of time management told through the rocks/pebbles/sand visual.  (Big rocks first, then little rocks, then sand -- any other way and it all gets messed up.)

Another way I renew is with music - of course.  Sometimes I write songs, sometimes I listen to songs.  Music is therapy.  I think that's why I also like the book of Psalms so much - many of those songs are life re-calibration / renewal thoughts.  

This morning I was listening to one of my favorite group artists - Point of Grace - while getting ready for work.  While listening to their 24 album, a couple of songs came on that really "spoke" to me (and the week that I had).  [Fearless Heart and Blue Skies]   I have to remember that when I am frustrated with things that I cannot change, I can trust in God because he is over it all.  

I'll leave you with this rock and serenity prayer to think about when you're having a day of frustration:

until next blog post,
~Joyce








No comments:

Post a Comment