Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Antiques Roadshow!


My blog post is a little late, because every Monday night I am watching the Antiques Roadshow on PBS.  I love this show.  In fact, my friends and family know that I like it so much, no-one should call me during the time it is on TV.  If they call, I don't answer until after the show.   I don't watch many TV shows, but the Antiques Roadshow is one of the times I just sit on the sofa with Joyce and my cats and we don't do anything else.

My favorite host of the ARS was Lara Spencer.  She is now on ABC and Mark Walberg is the current host. One of my favorite appraisers is the guy who appraises the posters - Nicholas Lowry.  He is always wearing a crazy suit.  I also like watching the Keno brothers appraise the furniture.  They are so passionate about antique furniture!  It's cool watching them come alive when they pass on their knowledge of a person's furniture treasure.

Speaking of furniture, one time early in our marriage after watching many Antiques Roadshows, Joyce went to a thrift store and purchased a HUGE nautical looking lamp.  I mean, this wooden lamp and shade was really big and chunky.  I think she was thinking it might be worth something someday - but it didn't go with anything we had in our apartment and ended up going back to goodwill a few months later.  It was crazy.  I tease her all the time about it when we watch the Roadshow.  I say, "My wife bought a lamp once!"   She and I just laugh about it now.

Maybe we'll end up going to a Roadshow one of these days.  We'd just have to figure out what we could bring to get appraised.  Thank goodness I won't have to bring the nautical lamp!!

signing off for now,
-Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment