Friday, September 13, 2013

Time Management Challenge

I read a really great article this week about distractions in the workplace and how it affects our productivity.  It stated that it takes people (on average) twenty minutes to get re-focused on the task they were working on during the time of getting interrupted.    That is a long time -- and a waste of time!  Wow.  

I have a position at work that demands my attention from multiple directions at any given time - and that is not counting the interruptions I get on a daily basis!   That being said, it is quite a challenge to "manage my time".  There are days I feel like I am on top of it all with "the ship" running on pace with only minor course adjustments.  Then there are other days in which I feel completely out of control and overwhelmed.  I am always looking to tweak my time management - but how does one account for unplanned interruptions?  

I've decided that for the next week I am going to try out a couple of new "time management" strategies to see if it helps me manage my day/week better.   It will be hard to stick to, but I have to try it.    I will report back on my blog next Friday to let you know the outcome of my little test/challenge.

Here are the following things I am going to do for the coming work week:

  1. I am going to only check (and reply to) my email and voice-mail at 2 given times each day.  (8:30-9:30am and then again from 1:30-2:30pm.)
  2. When I have a scheduled meeting/conference call, I will go to a conference room or empty office so I am not at my desk (where I could get interrupted) - and I can focus fully on what the conf. call is about.
  3. I am going to actually take a lunch break each day for at least 30 minutes - OUTSIDE of the office.
  4. I am going to walk each day for the other 30min. of my lunch break. 

So there you have it.  The challenge begins starting Monday!  Let me know if you plan on joining me on my little time management pilot program!  It would be great to hear what other strategies are being tested next week in addition to mine.

See you all next week for the results!

~Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment