Friday, September 20, 2013

Meet My Vati (Daddy)...

I want to take some time to introduce you to my incredible Dad, Mirv - who goes by "Vati" to me (Vati is "Daddy" in German).   Vati is an amazing man.  Anyone that meets my Dad finds him interesting and likable.  He is the real deal MacGuyver, has a quirky sense of humor, a soft heart for his wife and family and a caring for others in his own unique way.  There are two additional things he loves/is passionate about (besides his family) and they are: sharing his faith in Jesus (specifically as an online missionary with Global Media Outreach) and being a pilot flying a single engine airplane!

Recently, Vati was diagnosed with prostate cancer.  It all was very overwhelming for me to hear about.  I know that treatment these days are way more advanced then in years past....I just remember both of my Opas (Grandfathers) having health issues and dying within a short period of time of each other -- and hearing the news of this health issue with my Dad really threw my emotions for a loop.

As we found out more information about the procedure it made is somewhat easier to deal with.  I think even more than that though, has been my Dad's perspective and attitude through this whole thing.  I don't think I would've had the same reaction/attitude.  Maybe that is why he has been given this trial.

Anyhow, I thought I'd attach the link to his caringbridge website so you can read it all in his own words.  (Note:  You will have to sign in/log in on the main page before you can look up his site.)  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/mirvwondracek   For those of you not able to access the caringbridge site, I've attached his most recent posting below.

He has two more procedures after today.  Please pray for him and my family.  Thanks everyone!  Your support means so much.

I love you Vati!!  (_)?
~Joyce

p.s. I'll be writing about my time management challenge results next week. 

*********************************************************************************
1st Cyberknife treatment 9/19/2013
Ev and I traveled to UNC got there on time (a bit early ) and had the luxury of using the Valet Parking (yes that also is a God provision) free for Cancer Patients.   Checked in and they took me away ( but no to the funny farm haha hehe hoho like that old song goes) to the recovery area for stats and some steroids to prevent inflammation. Of course there my BP went up there again and after 45 minutes of allowing the meds to take affect I guess off we go on a wheelchair for 1/4 mile to the CyberKnife room. 

WOW several monitors, controls etc. now the grand entry to the "Ultimate Robot" with the end-effector being the x-ray beam module.  I believe it was a 7 axis motion control the arms being about 6 ft in length and sounded like stepping motors with closed loop feedback.  In the days of working with robots there were always safety gates around the working envelope of a live robot glad that they are watching every move with several cameras.

Thought it was going to be 45 min to 1 hr NOT. Try 1.5 hrs on the table laying still (Mirv and still???) after one hour they came in and asked if I needed to go to the bathroom I said that would be a good idea... me how did you know? Then the movement of the prostate, empty bladder, re- zero or initialize system again for the last 90 beams yes the total intersecting beams were 270 with 3 apertures.

While listening to nice music, I was just thinking how this treatment parallels with how God works in us, namely the radiation is invisible and one cannot tell on the outside of the body that there was cancer likewise when we were yet sinners with a sick heart it does not always show on the outside and God invisibly fixes that,  not just by knowing that He can, but only if you accept the treatment and seek the help. Jn. 3:16 allows each one of us to receive this treatment.

Praise be to Him, Thank you all for your faithfulness in your prayers, I really love you guys.
-Mirv

No comments:

Post a Comment